The Communications Group welcomed a new member to the family this week! Keiana Holleman will serve as the public relations specialist for the firm. When it comes to public relations, Keiana says there are five things every PR practitioner should keep in mind.
- Always have an angle! As public relations practitioners, we would ideally like all of our story ideas to come to life in the media. We can hit more than we miss by being creative with our angles. From the fun, silly days like national chocolate cupcake day (yes, that’s a thing!) to special cause months like National Diabetes Awareness Month, there are many ways to tell your client’s story in a creative and timely manner.
- Engage with your target audiences. It is not enough to share a story these days. We as practitioners have to compete with a lot of noise on social media and in the press. By sharing engaging and valuable content, our audiences will consume the information they want and need which leads to building trust between the brand and the audience.
- Build and maintain healthy relationships with audiences. When telling the story of your brand, engagement is only the first step in building relationships with your audience. The key is to maintain those relationships through collaboration. Letting your audience know that you hear them and value their insight is a great way to keep the relationship strong. Having healthy relationships with stakeholders and consumers can certainly help when a crisis happens. More importantly, when your audiences trust the brand they are more likely to believe your side of the story.
- Keep metrics in mind. I often compare not obtaining data to driving without looking at the speedometer. It’s unsafe and unwise. To be as effective as possible, it is important to note the steps you took during a campaign and assess how those steps performed. This data can be helpful in improving your planning and execution processes moving forward.
- Be patient. We’ve all heard the sayings ‘patience is a virtue’ and ‘Rome wasn’t built in one day’. These words of wisdom apply to effective public relations. Building goodwill is a process that takes time and strategic moves to successfully accomplish. Being patient along with the other tips I’ve shared will help practitioners achieve their PR goals.
Keiana Holleman is an alumna of Jackson State University where she graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor’s of science degree in Mass Communication. Her focus was Integrated Marketing Communications. Keiana’s communication background includes working for non-profit organizations and universities. This experience will translate into her work at the firm with agriculture (AG), business-to-business (B2B) and government-to-citizen (G2C) clients. You can learn more about Keiana by checking out her bio!